The Mummy Hat

Which hat are you wearing today?

Nuffnang Header

Monday, March 14, 2011

The Judgemental Mother

I am getting really good at NOT being a judgemental mother.

For this I am ridiculously proud!

It's really hard not to be judgemental. To not believe that I am doing it the right way and other people aren't quite there yet.


We probably are doing this whole parenting business the right way... for OUR children. But as we all know, no two kids are exactly the same, and parents have different priorities for their children, or their priorities arranged in a different order of importance, so no two parents really parent 100% alike. Catch my drift?

My girlfriend recently commented to me that she is amazed at how content my daughter is playing with one toy. I explained to her that I have a two toy policy... no more than two toys to play with at any given time and as she has quite a few toys given to her by everybody else, these get rotated daily. Our girlfriend has a daughter who has always been surrounded by toys and is bored quickly with each toy she picks up to play with.

Before I knew it I was defending our friend saying how we each have different priorities. She has always been an 'on demand' mother, I trained my daughter in a schedule that meant she slept for the right amount of time, ate the right amount of times and have basically made people adhere to her schedule if they want to see her! I wish I could have been as relaxed as our friend (whose babies also eat and sleep the right amount!) but I needed to put her in a routine so I could feel secure I was doing things right.

I was at an Engagement Party on Saturday night and there was a married childless woman, a mother of a two year old boy and myself talking about children. I was telling the other ladies how much I enjoy how Missy Moo and I sing Nursery Rhymes every morning after her bottle, how we sing our ABC's at each nappy change and the games we play to excite her sense of touch and improve her motor skills. I love watching her reactions and seeing the improvements in her.

The mother of two was gobsmacked. She started explaining to me how she had so much to do during the week and how exhausted she was between work and taking care of the house, husband and boy. How all these things meant she didn't really have a chance to do these things with her boy. I had to tell her to stop making excuses because they weren't necessary! I told her that I have time to play games and research activities to do with my daughter because I work less then half the hours she does and I have two gorgeous cleaning ladies!

And yes, I know, I am spoilt rotten by my adoring husband who has never played the role of the token father, changing nappies, giving bottles and getting up in the middle of the night for her from day one. He is amazing, a legend and most days he's my hero when he's not making me want to scream for leaving the SAME GOD DAMNED CUPBOARD OPEN EVERY MORNING despite repeated requests that he please just humour me and close it.

We all do the very best we can, so why do we constantly feel like our best isn't good enough when another mother goes a mile further than us? And why do we secretly feel smug when we get something right that another mother just can't seem to get under control?

There is so much love and support in the online world, and yet I always feel it lacking in real life?

I do, or don't do, everything for a reason. So why don't I just explain my reason when people read relatives tell me other ways to do things? Instead I feel judged that they think something can be done better.

Do you catch yourself being a judgemental mummy? And how do you deal with feeling like you are being judged as a mother?

10 comments:

  1. ahh I commented but I'mnot sure what I did with it! sorry! what i said was I think that not being judgemental is all about making people feel comfortable enough around you to not feel embarrassed/awkward about their differences, no matter what those differences are, because they know you'll respect those differences. i liked this post. visiting from the rewind. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I soo get where you are coming from, we (women collective) have to stop defending ourselves (and judging) Had this happen recently, a woman in the shoe shop was judging the shoe shop owner and I for not attending all our children's sporting games! didn't know us, didn't know our circumstances. I've been really thinking about this topic since then. Well put:)

    Visiting from rewind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I try not to be a judgemental mummy and I think I succeed most of the time. I have 4 little boys (7, 6, 4, 3) and I have worked full time since my first was born so I can totally appreciate the exhaustion, juggling act and demands on time but in the end I just do my best and thats all anyone can do. I probably do a 1,000 things wrong as a parent but I hope the 1,000 things that I do right will even it all out in the end. I visited from the rewind too :) p.s. does pram envy count? haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find myself judging every now and then but have to jerk myself to remember that everyone's way is equally valid for themselves. I have learned to keep any thoughts I have to myself too. I am constantly judged by by own mother in my decisions as a parent and it's perhaps because this annoys me so much I am more relaxed about what other mums/parents are doing.

    Stopping by on the Weekend Rewind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we all do things the way that works for us. I love getting tips and ideas from others who parent differently to me. I *wish* I could have managed a schedule, but it never happened! Thanks for Rewinding this Weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifully written. I agree with you so much. Let's be kind to each other in real life too...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think there are a million ways to raise a child - probably 14 billion (or whatever the current world population is). I think it's great to get tips and techniques from other parents and see if they work at my place.

    I do find myself inwardly judging other styles from time to time - it's only human. I would hate to think I was anything less than supportive openly, but inwardly I DO think 'what tha?' and if I think the parent is doing something that I REALLY think is detrimental to their child... well, am I neglectful for not speaking up? Is EVERY parent's way of raising a child going to be good for the child... I think not.

    To be honest, I am a bit over beating myself up because I feel this way. Being 'judgemental' is a crime worse than murder these days for some!! And, seomtimes, all those people who stand by and watch a child being abused or neglected... they were probably worried about being crucified for being judgemental.

    So, like all good stories, there are two sides and not everything negative is always negative... you know what I mean?

    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was feeling a bit judged when I wrote my rewind post. I think mothers are a bit more susceptible to judgement, or at least feeling as if they're being judged, because of the huge amount of responsibility we feel. It's very important stuff that we do. Adding to that, everyone seems to have an opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think its that we recognize there is so much at stake in raising a child that is at the root of why we so desperately need to feel like we are getting it "right". And unfortunately, in order to feel that way, that in turn means we often need to believe that someone else is getting it "wrong."
    Great post.

    ReplyDelete

Nuffnang