The Mummy Hat

Which hat are you wearing today?

Nuffnang Header

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

My Husband, the LEGEND!

I have always been a feminist. Before I met my now husband, I was an inflexible feminist.
Now I see things aren't always black and white, there are shades of grey...

I DON'T take the rubbish out... that's HIS job.

He doesn't clean the toilets... that's MY job.

He works at paid employment, I'm a SAHM... that doesn't mean I've lost my bad-ass feminist attitude, it means he earns double my wage and it makes a lot more sense that he continues to earn his big salary while I embrace my full time, unpaid domestic engineer/SAHM role.

I'll go back to paid work, when I'm ready. In the mean time, I'm enjoying spending time with my little cherub as she grows and develops and I'm there for every single milestone along the way... EXCEPT FOR TODAY'S MILESTONE but I'll get to that!

I love being a SAHM. And I'll love going back to work, when I do that too, as I said, it's all grey matter here peoples!

But I digress... my husband, is an absolute LEGEND!

As I said, I've always considered myself a bit of a feminist. But I'm also the least handy person you could meet! And yes, I know there is no direct correlation of feminist to handy person but I've previously felt that my reliance on usually a man someone else to do all things handy was a failing on my 'bad ass feminist' self.

Earlier this year, I tried to help Mr Hat put together the computer desk, 3 hours later and the poor man was still managing to keep his cool with me. I think that was mostly because he knows I was TRYING to help, even if that help was more annoying and unhelpful than actual assistance.

I did mention to him that in the very unlikely chance that something ever happened to make us part ways, I would like it in any divorce papers that he still had to be the handy man because as all my friends and family know, I can't even connect the TV to the DVD player, let alone put together furniture!

Getting to the point of this post... I was very chuffed when my cousin bought us the Baby Lamb Swing for Missy Moo. That thing has been a LIFE SAVER some days! It plays music, there's a mobile thingy that swings around and it sways the child back and forth. There are a heap of swing positions (not that I've learnt how to change them yet... Mr Hat changes it for me on request) and the thing is awesome, have I emphasised that yet? Well anyway, the wonderful contraption has 1 major drawback... it is ONLY battery operated... requiring 4 D cell batteries (RRP approx. $8.95) every 2-3 weeks, which can get a little expensive!

But Mr Hat fixed that! He did something... and I'm not going to even attempt to explain it to you, but long story short, he made it so that now it uses electricity! Hip Hip Hooray for Mr Hat! The whole thing took him less than 30 minutes to fix and he had all of the supplies in the garage!

And that makes him a legend! I love being married to a handy man sometimes. They come in real... handy! Anyway, I've read a bit lately about what women want from a man... whether it be the traditional handy man or todays less handy man... personally, I LOVE the handy man! Did I mention that Mr Hat also recently built a platform for our new front loader washing machine because I didn't want it wall mounted but I wanted it raised a little so I didn't hurt my back bending down? I'll say it again... LEGEND!

Oh, and the milestone I missed today... Missy Moo, a mere 9 WEEKS OLD... ROLLED OVER for the first time today! Nanna saw it, Nanna's sister, my cousin and her 2 children saw it, and I was in the kitchen! Darn it!





Do you like a handy man or are you the handy person? And when did your kids first roll over? I thought at 9 weeks Missy Moo is a little young? Now I'll have to be extra careful when leaving her on the bed or popping her on the change table! Darn it! She's growing up too quickly!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nuffnang