The Mummy Hat

Which hat are you wearing today?

Nuffnang Header

Thursday, August 11, 2011

When it rains, it pours down sewerage

I think it's pretty fair to say that not many people like bad news. In fact, the only people I can think that would like bad news are those who will benefit from others misfortune.

Yesterday we were given bad news.

My daughter has what's called a duplex left kidney. Basically she has two urethra's from her left kidney (you are only meant to have one) and one of those urethras is refluxing urine from her bladder back into her kidney.

This, we already knew.

She has been on antibiotics every day since she was 3 months old to help prevent an infection (she had a pretty bad one when she was 3 months old). Yesterday, we went to see the kidney specialist because her left kidney isn't functioning 100%. We weren't expecting much. When she was first diagnosed, we were told that often these things repair themselves and it's not a big concern.

So it came as a surprise when we were told she needed more invasive testing and surgery to repair the blockage was on the cards.

Hold on, rewind please. What did you just say?

Meanwhile, my daughter is wriggling about in my arms, unsettled with two rosy red cheeks from a week on unrelenting hard core teething. More tests.

So I'm exhausted after several sleepless nights, being handed bad news on an expensive platter and I think, it's okay, we can deal with this. We have to deal with this. It's better to get to the bottom of this then to cross our fingers and hope she doesn't get another infection.

So we go home. We process. I cry from sheer frustration and then we go to bed.

I wake up to the hubster calling me, it's 8:15am. My little human alarm clock hasn't woken me up. I lay there thinking maybe she's catching up on all the sleep she's missed out on the past few days and nights. And then I realise, something is wrong.

I enter her room and wake, yes, wake her up. I give her a cuddle and notice there's something wrong with her hand.

It's covered in pimples.

So are her legs.

I ring the fully booked out doctors surgery to make an appointment so the Good Doctor can confirm my suspicions, it's Hand, Foot and Mouth.

Crap.

When it rains, it really pours down sewerage!
Stolen from here

12 comments:

  1. Wow, sending you Special wishes as I wipe away a tear. Know you are in another bloggers thoughts and we are wishing that everything will be just fine. Come on over for a laugh. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crap! - literally. Hope your day gets better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a bad day! I am sure future good days will make you forget the bad ones. In the mean time stay strong!

    Cranky Old Man

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear! That's double bad news. I hope everything goes well in the treatment of the kidney problem. That's a biggie, from the sound if it. As to HFM, I can totally sympathise. My toddler had it twice. I was told once gives immunity but these viral buggers keep changing the rules! Her second case was quite bad and she had a terrible nappy and mouth rash. We had to force her to drink but thankfully the worst was over in a couple of days. I hope your little one only gets a mild case.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear you are having a crappy time. Hoping your little one recovers quickly from the hand foot and mouth, and that surgery is successful xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sometimes makes you wonder whos grave youve run over doesn't it? And sucks twice as hard when you realise there is no rhyme or reason to any of it :-( Found you thrugh FYBF, following along now, glad to have found you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh god, so sorry love. Sending you good karma from my side of australia.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My god, what an ordeal. Poor little chicken. Hope she's on the mend soon and her mummy gets a run of good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poor you and poor little darling. Hand, foot and mouth is everywhere at the moment. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  10. uhmmmm, your post was like a bullet to my brain. I just finished a whoa is me post and it doesn't even compare to this heart ache. I am grateful for your post today if that is any consolation. All the best to you and your daughter! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Its probably small consolation considering everything you have on your plate but I am thinking of you and yours and hope all your traumas are over with quickly. Have not had to battle HFM yet but we went through a patch where we had gastro, a broken wrist, an almost severed finger and 2 throat infections in the space of a month. Hang in there chicky xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh poor baby!!! I'm thinking of you all, Aly. xx

    ReplyDelete

Nuffnang