She was so well behaved for the entire ceremony I kept wondering who was this tame little girl and what did she do with my loud dadda screeching hand clapping aye aye aye aying babbling daughter.
We kept the ceremony and celebration afterwards to our siblings, parents, grandparents and Missy Moo's Godparents, because, well, that made us a party of 30 and that's enough people to feed thank you very much.
As soon as we got back to our place, my FIL was found to be in possession of my daughter and an hour later, still had not released the child to another family member, much to the
Ah huh.
Anyway, as she was left to play with the other kids for a couple of hours, by the time everyone sat down to eat, we fed the guest of honour and put her to bed where she slept peacefully for a full two hours while kids ran up and down the hall screaming. I had to go in there and check she was still alive I couldn't believe she was sleeping through all of the commotion!
And then our guests left.
And she was still sleeping.
And nobody else had had much of a cuddle.
So the other day I was complaining to a girlfriend that I had to chauffeur my daughter around to dish out cuddle debts not paid on Sunday, and she said, 'you know you don't have to do that'. To which I replied 'you know in theory it looks like I have a choice, but the consequences of them not seeing Missy Moo are quite painful, so I really kinda do'.
![]() |
| Image credit here |
How have you dealt with a child 'in demand'? Any tips?
I've been hinting to them all that if they want their fix they have to come to her kingdom, but we always end up in the car, visiting them again. I love that they adore her so much but I often feel like I'm just there to bring the baby!

Quite honestly, I leave the rellos to deal with themselves. I'm all for my daughter spending time with her extended family, but I won't let her life revolve around it. I remember a time when Lilly was only about three months old and we were at her first big family gathering. She was being passed around like a football. She was getting grizzly and it was time to disappear for a feed and a nap. We were on our way upstairs when one overbearing rello demanded a cuddle. Lilly had had enough and started screaming. I took her back; Lil got her feed and the rello got what she deserved.
ReplyDeleteMy inlaws claim they don't see our kids enough, but my father in law lives literally around the corner, and my mother in law is five minutes away. I have better things to do than ferry the kids around! They know where we live too.
ReplyDeleteNew follower, found you thru FYBF :)
x