I no longer have a newborn. Which is such a shame, not only because I blinked and my newborn is now *gulp* an infant, but because I can no longer use having a newborn as a convenient excuse.
Telemarketer rings at night "I'm sorry, I can't talk, I need to put my newborn to sleep".
Painful neighbor across the road wants to whinge about other painful neighbour/council rates/how kids these days have no respect/how her family no longer visit her
People are not as lenient when the newborn turns into a run of the mill baby. By the time your newborn is an 'infant', people expect you to have it all in hand and can spare time for them, or so I'm discovering!
Which brings me to the point of this post, I have a squeaky bed. I didn't realise I had a squeaky bed until I brought my newborn home from the hospital and set up her bassinet in our room. My husband and I are now very self-conscious of our squeaky bed. We try not to move around too much so we don't wake the
It's been traumatic enough having to acknowledge I am no longer the mother of a newborn. Ee-ow taunts me as I change Missy Moo into her new 4-8kg nappy, I'm not ready to forgo her
After all, if we move her, it's just further for me to walk to tend to her when she cries/needs feeding/I need to check she's still breathing because she is sleeping so peacefully. And let's face it, it's better to make things as easy as possible when you are trying to soothe/feed/burp a baby at 4am. And I'm not ready. I'll wear that too.
So for now she stays in our bedroom. Unlike her growing up, this is a fight that I stand a chance at winning! And if that doesn't sit well with the husband, we do have a spare room with a bed that I don't think squeaks, maybe he can relocate in there!
How old were your children when they moved into their own rooms?

No!! Not six weeks, surely they're a newborn for three months?! ;)
ReplyDeleteooh, both my boys were 2 weeks when they went into their own rooms, I am a stickler to the gina ford method, totally worked for me and had them both sleeping through at 6 weeks, but my mother never approved, haha
ReplyDeleteMy son stayed in our bed for 6 months, and I thought that was perfect for us. Then, he went to his own crib, and it took adjusting for all of us, but in the long run was worth it. He is now 2 and 1/2 and he sleeps with us occasionally if he is sick. Sometimes, then we experience the fit because he wants to keep sleeping with us, but get through just one night of it and we're back to normal. I feel like it has worked well for us so far. You do what feels right for your family. Here from FYoB!
ReplyDeleteMy boy has just gone in to his own room last week at four and half months. He's a semi-co-sleeper, so goes to sleep in his own bed, if he wakes for a feed or wakes and is hard to settle afterwards (or just decides to start playing with his feet) he comes in to bed with us - it's the only way we all get good sleep. I love co-sleeping with him, waking up to see his little cherub face every morning is amazing.
ReplyDeleteHI there! I am your newest follower from the weekend blog hop!! I love finding new blogs and your is lovely:) You can find me at www.bouffeebambini.blogspot.com
ReplyDeleteTake a *peek* at my giveaways if you stop by. Everything is handmade and gorgeous!!
Mine have moved at different stages. My earliest was 3 months and my youngest is still in my room - he will be 2 in January!
ReplyDelete*UPDATE*
ReplyDeleteShe's still in our room and Mr Hat is okay with that!
And Lori, I have gone back to calling her my newborn, meh to the nappies!
She's still so young!
Mine were in their own room from day one! I was so excited to have the nursery set up each time and loved sneaking in their to inhale the sweet 'newborn' smell LOL. And for the record, they are newborn until they sleep through ;)That's what I'm sticking too
ReplyDeleteMy son will be 3 in January, and is still in our room! He is getting to tall for his cot though, so in the new year he'll move into the room next door into a big bed, and my heart will break. I don't think he'll be bothered a bit! :) We have a little one on the way, due in May, so I'd like to get him settled before he feels that he was kicked out for the baby. Cuddles to your newborn! :)
ReplyDeleteMine slept in my bed from the minute they were born until they were ready to move. They each have their own room now at 6 and 8 and have done for a couple of years now.
ReplyDeleteso love this post - ah! the memories :) I moved all my cherubs at different stages - I loved having my room to myself though and taught my children to sleep around noise. I would vacuum in the room when they were sleeping etc to get them used to 'life' noises. Good luck with your plan - I would still be using 'newborn' and pushing it for as long as I could! Naomi.
ReplyDelete